S stands for Self Healing and can be seen as extensions to Tier 3 and 4 datacenters.
Tier-S datacenters are compatible with Tier 3 and most of Tier 4 but they have additional benefits:
- The Tier S Circular approach allows to build the most reliable and redundant datacenters in the world.
- A larger datacenter typically 2-10 mwatt capacity is extended with at least 9 edge datacenters.
- Each edge datacenter is on a ring and can be 3 to 30 pods.
- The main datacenters can be pod, rack based on container based.
- A Tier-S datacenter can be Tier 3 or Tier 4 capable but is constructed in more modern ways.
- storage can never be lost
- data can be spread over multiple sites in such a way that not even quantum computers can hack
- all pods are liquid cooled (submerged)
- liquid cooling is a much more simple and reliable process
- all power paths and network pats are fully redundant
- the circular design with main datacenter and edge datacenters makes it much harder to bring a datacenter down in a situation of nautral disaster, war or other unrest.
A tier S datacenter, has self healing properties, the aim is that workloads can run in all safety and don't need human super administrators to keep alive.